Monday 6 May 2013

Where the Cemetery Serves Other Purposes.

It was touted the most expected game to provide all the fireworks that a Classico of the two gaints in Ghanaian football will give.

Wreath
On Sunday, 5th May, I decided to attend my 1st ever Hearts -Kotoko game as the May 9 incidence always scared me of going to such games between the two giant clubs in Ghana.

Grateful to Kofi Abanga of Accra Hearts of Oak, I was given a free ticket to attend the game. Well no doubt I am a full fan of the Oak Tree club and we are referred to as Phobia- Masters!!?
Great game by all standards with all the flashes of brilliance that such a game should provide. At the end the game ended with the two teams sharing the honors. It ended in a 1 all drawn game.

Ok I won't bore you with all the football talk because that does not really type in into my reason for the blog post.

Now the game ends and we all have to find our ways back home by whatever means. In trying to get a cab from the Parliament house side of the road to Kwame Nkrumah circle, I decided to pass through the Osu cemetary to pay a short visit and to pay some respect to my two late cousins buried there a few years back.

At the entrance I noticed a whole of things that made me to wonder whether I was entering a cemetary where some years back I believe is a place that, you had to have the strong heart to visit.

First thing I noticed was that the little space on the entrance had been used as parking space for the spectators with cars for which self appointed attendants were taking cash for helping car owners get a space to pack their cars. If I am not mistaking I counted about forty to sixty cars that were both being directed to leave the yard and those yet to be occupied by the owners.

Thinking that was absurd a behavior showed towards the dead, I was yet to face the shocker for which a guy I asked whether this happened often, the response was, "this is even small massa, if you go inside small, you go see what dey happen for here".

Out curiosity I decided to go a little further to have a look for myself what could have been going on there. Immediately, the thing that drew my attention were a group of guys with grown faces and facial hairs, sharing something. I then decided to pretend to be on the phone talking to somebody just not to raise any attention of spying to myself. In no time, smoke in the air, one of the guys had lit his and a few others were rolling theirs. I guess at this point you should get the kind of smoke in the air I am trying to refer to. Hmm you want me to tell you what is was? Come on folks you what I mean now? Lol!! They were really on cloud nine I guess as they sat on the various tombstones, sharing jokes, giggling and really fraternizing.
Tombstone


I then ignored them walking further into the cemetery trying to locate my cousins' tombstone to go do what I had come there to do. In negotiating a turn, behind a tree, was a sight that hmm, I wish I could take out but for the purpose of this post I feel like pitching it in no matter what.
I am sure you are like what aaa did this guy see that man no see before. Of course what aa did I see that man hasn't seen before, this 'couple' for which I initially saw the lady alone, realized that they were actually two. Simple they were making out seriously that, I am sure any passerby's presence wouldn't matter to them. My issue is not with them making out but seriously, like seriously, in the cemetery? How much horny were both of them that they couldn't keep it small till they reached home or even get some cool brothel around.
Or you say Nana Oye Lithur's order to close down all brothels was a case for them to have a qucikee there in the cemetery?

Have we lost respect for the dead that soon as a people where our traditions for which we were born into and that we are to inherit and rather make it richer, we close an eye to it and to have put up such practices there?

I am sure there are so many vices that go on there for which really must be looked at. I ask myself so many questions one of which was 'Do we have people who manage such places or even keepers'? These and many more for which I guess, I will get those answers very soon hopefully.

I guess I will leave it here and hope to finish this up sometime soon when some answers or even more of such vices that I believe is in disrespect to the dead and traditions for which our society and identity are built on appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment