Wednesday 14 January 2015

What Are Your Salary Requirements? Best Answers?


So it’s a new year and I am sure most of us do have resolutions of landing that dream job. In one of my chats with a friend in the Human Resource field, I asked her a few questions during an interview session. One that dragged on was the remuneration part. We spoke at length on that as I disagreed on a lot of the things she said. I continuously asked why?

SALARY
A week later I got a notification of an email from her. There was a link to a short message directing me to go check out this page as all what she was telling me was justified.

I followed the link and the amount of information I got from that post was much valuable. As usual, I didn’t want to sit on this information hence my decision to post it on my blog for you my cherished readers to have a read at it.

I honestly don’t know to the extreme if we have the range system working here in Ghana, but my friend told me some few institutions and industry specific players do have that.

So don’t give the first number because if you request a salary lower than the range for the position, the interviewer will say nothing, and you’ve just lost money.

You want the interviewer to tell you the range for the position, because then you can focus on getting to the high end of the range. But you can’t work to the high point if you don’t know it.

When there are two good negotiators in the room, each person will try to get the other to give the first number.

Each time you deflect the question, the interviewer will try again. Your goal is to outlast the interviewer until they finally tell you the salary range for the job. Here is how to respond:

Question: What salary range are you looking for?

Answer: “Let’s talk about the job requirements and expectations first, so I can get a sense of what you need.” That’s a soft answer to a soft way to ask the question.

Question: What did you make at your last job?

Answer: “This position is not exactly the same as my last job. So let’s discuss what my responsibilities would be here and then determine a fair salary for this job.” It’s hard to argue with words like “fair” and “responsibilities” you’re earning respect with this one.

Question: What are you expecting to make in terms of salary?

Answer: “I am interested in finding a job that is a good fit for me. I’m sure whatever salary you’re paying is consistent with the rest of the market.” In other words, I respect myself and I want to think I can respect this company.

Question: I need to know what salary you want in order to make you an offer. Can you tell me a range?

Answer: “I’d appreciate it if you could make me an offer based on whatever you have budgeted for this position and we can go from there.” This is a pretty direct response, so using words like “appreciate” focuses on drawing out the interviewer’s better qualities instead of her tougher side.

Question: Why don’t you want to give your salary requirements?

Answer: “I think you have a good idea of what this position is worth to your company, and that’s important information for me to know.”

You can see the pattern, right? If you think you sound obnoxious or obstinate by not answering the question, think of how he feels asking the question more than once.
PAY DAY

Also, by the time the interviewer has asked two or three times, the interviewer will know that hiring you means having a tough negotiator on his team another reason to make you a good salary offer!

I hope this short note helps someone out there to their next interview session for that dream job. But as my captions depicts a question mark, I will encourage more suggestions which will be much more appropriate than any of the answers stated above. Have the best of 2015 and beyond.

CHEERS!!!!

CREDITS:





No comments:

Post a Comment