Monday 3 March 2014

That Dream - Where it All Starts!!

On a fine Saturday, I decided to talk a stroll of which place I
was going to not known. I then  dressed up and called a friend and decided to just hit town. We met at a central location and decided to hit one of the Traditional Suburbs of the capital Accra, Ghana.

We enjoyed our outlined walks through  the township, meeting and talking to young people and children alike. Though our appearance drew a few attention, people around saw it as normal and went ahead in their normal duties and livelihood.
As we continued in our quest to explore the township, we took a turn and there we were in a suburb called Jamestown. Aside this area known for its good dancing skills, they were also blessed with a few national soccer stars.

Little did we know that, Jamestown was endowed with the talent of boxing. As we took a few steps, there we saw a large gathering of people. So we decided to approach and there we were, An improvised boxing ring created in a circle form by both passer bys and onlookers.

It was a boxing tournament for children. My reason for this is that, at that young and tender age a dream is born and children at say age two are given the very basic lessons and rudiments of the sport.


The child is taught how to jab, hit a knock out blow, upper-cut punch, block and how to move step which all forms part of the basic things one needs to be better developed in the sport of boxing. So I asked who organised this and how often, I was shown the organiser of whom was also a young man and he told me this is where it all begins. I asked him again, why such young kids, he told me these are children who are convinced to be world champions of the sport when they are grown.

He gave me example of names that had begun like this and later became world champions and household names of the sport. Names like Azumah Nelson, Ike Quartey, Alfred Kotey, Braimah Kamoko aka Bukom Banku and many more that had to do street boxing battles.

All he told me in summary was, this is where the dream all starts (In the GA language).



Photo Credit: Ghanyobi ( www.ghanyobi.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment